Friday, September 15, 2006


Lucky Bar, May 15 AWT, Gutter Demons, and The Vibrators!

I finished up removing the dirty ring from the toilet when I realized that The Vibrators were in town tonight. I quickly washed my hands and put on my best leopard skin skirt, complimented with my safety pinned God Save the Queen t-shirt. The first time I had experienced British punk was back in 83 when the Angelic Upstarts played an all ager at the Advance center in Vic West. From time to time the Buzzcocks used to come to town.... but British Punk acts very rarely play on this island so tonight was.... a Royal Treat!

I was late and missed AWT. These local locos have a new CD out or in the works??? I recon ifn I had more than $2 in my pocket I might have wandered up to their merch table to see if the CD was available but money talks BS walks... although they did have a nice lookin merch girl...I wonder if she’s alcoholic white trash... I’ve never been comfortable with callin people trash, but every time I look in the mirror I do see a white alcoholic! Anyway AWT are always fun to see and they usually have some aggressive dance floor followers to get drunk on their hardcore music works!

The Gutter Demons are a Psyco-billy act from Montreal. Pycho-billy is like rock-a-billy only at 78 RPM. They sing in English with French Canadian accents! They ripped and it is always nice to see these kind of acts in a punk line-up, mixes it up and I enjoyed this band big time and could easily see them headlining the next time they come to town… oui oui!

Now the Vibrators... Old School Punk band dating back to 76... Yes 1976. The Vibrators where making punks pogo dance before slam dancing and way before the invention of the mosh pit! Just when I thought there was no one old enough to actually know how to pogo to this band, out on the dance floor came Mike Walker Punk Rocker one of Victoria’s oldest. This band was on the same bills as the Sex Pistols and Iggy Pop back in the day. The Vibrators have a twenty-seven year career with numerous line-up changes and over 15 albums! The band’s new line-up has the original singer and the original drummer so it doesn’t get much better than that. The big hit for them is “Baby Baby Baby” and the audience sang along to this top ten punk classic. The only other song that I recognized in their set was “Disco Moscow” although all the songs where great and lots of dancing was had. The new bass player kinda looked like a member of the Clash, the drummer looked like an old school teacher and the singer (who is a established British painter) looked like a street person. I spoke to the bass player after the show and he said they have had a good tour of North America but are tired and want to get home. He also told me the money has been pretty good and as much as he doesn’t like to turn his passion for playing music into a job…. He still has bills to pay at home.

Hopefully we will see this classic punk outfit in our little town again soon. I did notice the Vibrators drew a large crowd of girls. I wonder if they where mislead by the name and hoping to see a new product line of Vibrators? Imagine how many girls would have showed if it was a double ender with the Buzzcocks as well as the Vibrators and then throw in the Sex Pistols! Sounds like a horny show BABY BABY BABY!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home