Friday, September 08, 2006


APR 2004 Kook Killers, Rod Iron Hogglers, and Electric Frankenstein.

First off it was Urge Tattoodios 10’Th anniversary and a flash load of people where at the Lucky bar to celebrate. Congrats goes out to the Urge crew... they where inspiration for so many in this town…. Ten years ago you only had maybe two or three tattoo shops, now there is one on every corner! I personally would never get a tattoo but who am I to judge!

The Lucky bar was full and I think it was a near sold out show. Greasers, JaKs, punx, skinheads, perverted Team Shitty guys, and good old Stranglehold was there for this evening of punk and rock. Hey, even my husband was there! It was a good social event with lots of old faces. In the chatter of gossip I was eves-dropping on, I overheard possibly a Breach re-union was in the minds of Jerk Warren with Paul who is hanging around again. I wouldn’t mind seeing that punk band again…. What’s it been ten years? I stuck close to my neighbor John B (old surf punk from Sacramento) He shared his story about the Circle Jerks show in 82 where he got a 2by4 in the nose. We are both lame old punks so we just drank a few soft ones…. By the way thanks for the free drinks Ben! Funny how probably back in 82 Ben wouldn’t have been giving us free drinks! But yet again we were drinking booze back then.

The Keg Killers started the night and as usual these guys play a dam fine mix of old classic punk covers as well as a handful of their own. If you like the old school north american punk sound you must see the KK! The dance-floor was a little shy in the dance department but I did see a few old women shaking their thing! I think the Keg Killers have recently been included in a punk compilation that Duane Peters (US Bombs) is involved in… have to find that when it comes out. My condolences go out to Dust for his recent family losses. I’m here for you bro!

The Urge house band Rod Islamic Haulers where up next and what can you say other than it’s a blast of Rock & Roll. They rock not in a Dio or Sabbath way but a more of a “We will be playing at Angle Acres this year,” kinda way! They have a pretty big following and the dance-floor had a goood layer of grease tattoos and the likes. I hear they will be playing at the StickShift car clubs annual Island Invasion on the long weekend in July. Better get your moms car tuned down for that one.

I went outside for some fresh air and a cig then ran back inside for some Electric Frankenstein. This band came with a huge merch table and due to my poor reading ability it looked like this band had released about thirty cds! The reality was I had never heard of this band before so there was that feeling of mystery and anticipation. Would they live up to this near sold out crowd. The first cord was struck and the band took off into a full force set of…. Electric Frankenstein! The floor was sardined with bodies swaying to the aggressive punk/rock beat. Hey was that Dee Dee on bass? I really enjoyed this band but after a half a dozen songs they stared to sound the same. This is where it might have been better if I was familiar with their songs… I recon I should buy one of their releases soon. They are a screaming good band and certainly worth checking out.

- ricky jak

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home