Thursday, November 02, 2006













Hot Rod fiction and non-fiction.In the fifties there was a rash of movies, books and magazines on the hot rod lifestyle. I myself was not alive untill 1966 so I missed out on all the great times in the Hot Rod lifestyle. My father was in a car club called the Quarter Milers. I still have my father's club jackets. Those days a guy could build a car without having a ton of cash. I have spent hours hanging around automotive shops listening to old geezers tell me about all the great tin they used to have. The muscle cars, the racing, and the accidents. Every summer I go check out at least one car show. I always admire the cars that the owners built themselves. The big-bellied hot rodders out there that have big wallets and clean hands just don't do it for me. By the same token the 'all show and no go' guy is a little weak in my books also. Oh yes, this is what this post is about, books, not my worthless opinion. Honestly the only book I have read on this page is Rolling Thunder. Now this book is about the birth of stock car racing and it does capture that flavor. The main character is a bit of a goody two shit even though he's a moonshine runner. Now the only parts in the book that got me going was when young racers in the pits introduce themselves as Lee Petty, Ned Jarrett, and even the fist fightin' Junior Johnson. Which reminds me of the time I offered to lap count for the Canada 200 at our local racetrack. Never again, I missed the race because I had to watch the same car...BORING .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home