Monday, December 31, 2007


SPREAD EAGLE, Mongoose, and The Keg Killers. Steamers victoria Nov 17 2007

When I was young in the mid eighties I would go to this place called the Kings Hotel and drink beer and watch women strip. Twenty years later I'm back at the Kings Hotel, now called Steamers nightclub. Local music promoter Heather of Clove and Anchor productions has formulated another evening of absolute power and energy....she puts on some of the greatest shows of the underground. Three Beers for Clove and Anchor productions!!!
The place fills up and the first band is The Keg Killers from Victoria. There is about a hundred years of punk experience in this band and my favorite part of this band is no heavy metal riffs just pure impact. This is the kinda band that will probably never play on the Vans Warped Tour but if they did then I might actually check out the Vans Warped tour for a change! The microphone starts windmillin in the air and the jack boot guitar riffs start strumming out the hits! By the time you have seen the Keg Killers a couple of times you can't help singin their catchy songs to your self the next day.... "SCUMBAG" NAZI POPE" "CHACHI BEACH" "BLUE VELVET" and of coarse "SMOKES" all the punk hits man.
Next, Mongoose from East Van. A uniform group of young guys that had energy. Clean fast paced rock energy that attracted alot of girls to the dance floor. I am sure they would fit in the Vans Warped tour just nicely.
Now I started this review with the women I used to watch strip in this Kings Hotel some twenty years ago. These women where big, unshaven, powerful and maybe had a few pimples and band-aids. They where real women and I’m sure it was probably one of the first times in my life I actually saw a woman in the SPREAD EAGLE position. Twenty years later I am in front of the stage watching a band from Vancouver called SPREAD EAGLE. This band has big sound, is unshaven, powerful, probably had a few pimples but didn't need any band-aids because when they where done only stitches would hold their wounds together. Vancouver has been a hub of heavy rock music lately with bands like Three Inches Of Blood, Bison, and Grass City and SPREAD EAGLE fit in. Goosebumps formed on my arms as this band played their fast paced stomping rock. The dance floor even became a little bit of a battleground forwhile as the jock type girls started dancing. Not to be missed.

-ricky JaK

1 Comments:

Blogger DCAja said...

love it!
br,
inklusi

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home