Monday, December 31, 2007

Tom Waits Tribute @ Solstice Café dec, 2007

With the possibility of Mr. Waits playing the SOFA on his upcoming tour a bunch of local musicians put together an evening of tribute. The evening was labeled “CLANG, BOOM, STEAM.” Or at least that’s what the gig poster said. It should have been called “YAWN, NOD, SLEEP.”
Now read the following in a very low rough voice like you just deep throated a wire brush.
“I entered this packed little smokey café on the outskirts of Market Square to find people sitting in rows; the place was quite as a church and a guy was strumming his acoustic guitar singin an older unrecognizable Tom Waits song. O.K. it wasn’t smokey. Still the people sat in silence barely moving to the song, the kinda way that only white people can do when they listen to music. The MC introduced another guy to the stage and he pulls out his acoustic guitar and repeats the same slow sleepy formula that would make Tom wanna pull out his gun and start shooting the walls and steel supports of this joint, some of the stray bullets bouncing into the crowd causing the floor to soak with a blood stained tear.”
Relax your throat now and take another pull on your brown bag. Not to get totally hated I in no way am saying the musicians weren’t good musicians. The place was filled with some of Victoria’s finest, and not all the performers played the acoustic stuff. It had its ups. Wouldn’t you know the moment I slip outside to indulge in some Copenhagen the ever beautiful Carolyn Mark gets on stage and I watch her through the sweat soaked window. My favorite for the evening was of coarse “The Children of Celebrities” These guys defiantly have a Tom Waits feel with their own mix of blue-grass. Also a be-bob interpretation by some young ladies and a drum machine mouthed man was quite good. The bottom line is I’m just a punk so I am probably not the guy who should be reviewing this acoustic guitar laden evening. But I love Tom Waits!
I personally own about four Tom Waits records that get regular play in my house. Tom Waits music makes me and my daughters dance in a fashion that no other music does. Tom Waits is wails, swoons, arm rising on your knee, take a bow then start to jig, throw a chair then pick the chair up and listen to the next story. Tom Waits is “CLANG BOOM STEAM”!!!!!

Cheers hippies! – ricky JaK

p.s. I was just fuckin with ya about Tom Waits playin the SOFA.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home