Monday, March 20, 2006

Budokon, Removal, and No Means No @ Sugar, friday Feb 17
The Zone radio station always advertises upcoming shows... but did I hear anything about the NMN show? NO!! Needless to say I swangled a ticket down at Richards Records for a measly price of $15. Now basically I haven't frequented the NMN shows that come to town every year for quite awhile. The only NMN record I ever bought was a 7" with a song about Wormies.... it sucked so I really have never purchased any more of thier music. I know most of you are thinking "MORON!"
Now here it is in the 2006 and the two Wright Brothers and another guy named Tom, (I think he was the singer for Pat Bay and the Malahats back in the eighties) are still slappin out the NMN tunes. So down to the Sugar nightclub I go for an evening of fun. The line-up at the door was a ticket only deal. No ticket no go. Many where walking away..... SOLD OUT! So basically mainstream radio that doesn't support underground music doesn't have to! This show is SOLD OUT!
I got a good rub down by the security guy at the door ... I'm married and haven't been touched like that for quite awhile, so I just closed my eyes and imagined it wasn't a big ugly skinhead dude friskin me, but a chip or dale. I arrived in the Sugar to find out I had missed Budokon. Members of Budokon are somewhat historical in the Victoria music scene with Andrew Maloy from BUM, Kent State from the Astro Zombies, and the ever amazing Jonnnlondon from Mission of Christ. So you would figure this trio would snap a few necks but the general populas gave me a so/so review about this band. Next up was the band Removal. Removal are kinda like seeing a version of NoMeansNo backing up NMN. Removal utilize no vocals and just grind out the repetative talented riffs. I have to say I just don't like this band although the audience felt otherwise and danced the flood wet.
I took this boring time to hone in on some of my poor socializing skills. I cornered a young lesbein and barraged her with punk trivia. She was stumped on alot of my mindless questions about the SexPistols, Clash , and Edgar Winter.... she kept trying to answer the questions with the names of newer bands I knew nothing about. "NOFX, Pennywise, Blink 182, and Rancid" Who the hell are they? Anyway I figured I better leave this young lesbien before she started to beat me up. Up to the bar I strolled and payed $4 for a glass of ice and two sips of Coca Cola. Man thats big for no booze.... so I decided to practice my pitching arm with the ice in the glass. I climed up to the upper balcony and started snipeing ice at folks in the audience. What fun. I ran out of ice and a Dizzy girl pulled a sheet of paper out of her purse and we started fireing spitballs with the straws that the bar supplies with the drinks. Even more fun, and we laughed our tits off! This is also an excellent time to practice your poker face.
Time had come and NMN came onto the stage. This band has been belting it out for over twenty five years now. They are originally from Victoria, but have spent most of thier carreer based in Vancouver. They have over 15 albums of music. They sell-out shows in Europe..... "You wanted the best? You Got IT..... NoMeansNO!" Rob took to slappin that bass, John started beatin those drums and Tom Holliston chicked away. The dancefloor compressed to maximum capacity and the dancing began. There was even people dancing full force on the upper dance floor. Holy Shyte! Two hours of new and a good splatter of old and it still wasn't enough. A few encores and they closed the night with the extended dance version of "Oh No Bruno" What a great band, I hope they continue to play well into thier 80's just like the Daygloos. If you haven't ever seen No Means No I suggest you see them next time... this Sold Out Sugar Nightclub can't be Wrong!
-Whitney Houston

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home