Sunday, March 12, 2006

The Shivs, Keg Killers, Jak Uzi, Excessives, and Dry Fisted. Saturday night Sept 11, 2005 Brickyard: I had never been to the Brickyard so I started my travel into deep gastown area of Vancouver. The alleys of the city were a scurry with people dealin and workin their angles of survival. Across the street of these desperate dirty alleys were line-ups of rich people dressed to the nines waiting to get into some trendy nightclubs. My little hometown only has small pockets of this so to see it on a larger scale was interesting for my eyes. I skipped into a corner store and grabbed a bag of chips. I stood on the street and ate my chips as a lifeless woman came up to me and apologized that she hadn't been home to put any makeup on but did I want anything. I smiled and said I was fine with just my chips. We the people... eh? A block up the street I saw what I thought was a JAk'.... it was a Jak and I wondered in that direction. The Jak had disappeared into the club and I knew I had made my destination... the Brickyard. The big doorman looked at me and told me the cover was five bucks.... Just then a guy in a car on the side of the road yelled “Jaks dont pay cover.”. Holy Crap, it was the drummer from KISS yellin at the doorman. I yelled back at the drummer "Thanks!" then walked right into the Brickyard like I owned the place....and no one even noticed. I wonder if Jaks pay cover on normal shows?? The Shivs were on stage and played two songs, then Blind Mark Mo said good night. I thought I had missed the Shivs set to find out it was only their sound check... I had a feeling it was only their sound check because Mark Mo didn't have a Gin and tonic in his hand. This was another high stage venue so blind Mark Mo would have to be careful with the fall down drunk antics. The bar slowly filled up with faces I had not seen in awhile… oddly enough a large number of Victorians came out of the alleys and expensive nightclubs for this show. I strolled up to the bar and bought myself a drink and a drink for Jamie Jak. Gossip gossip gossip… Jamie informed me that after several years of tour with the Real McKenzies he has broken ties with this band and is now taking time to relax and work on his acoustic solo album. More farmiliar faces showed and then the Shivs took to the stage. AHHH the sHIvS!!!! Yes they kick and I never bore of this band. This live show must have had a few new numbers added to the set. I noticed the hardcore slowed down a notch at times for a smoken mix that Blind Mark Mo executed without even stopping for a throat lozenge. They left the stage with a few more fans on this night I’m sure! The Keg Killers entered the ring with a retro old school punk/ slight British oi set. Lead singer, Shad Jak, contorted and swaggered around the stage with the resemblance of a stooge. Usually this singer hits himself in the head with the mic so hard that blood dribbles out. I recon the forehead has been callused good and solid from this practice making it harder to draw blood. Look out Gene Kininski! Yes another great band from the small alleys of Victoria. As fast as the Keg Killers left the stage the Jak Uzi took to it to continue the powerful assault of the attack. I had the fortune to see Jak Uzi several times this year…. Come to think of it I was their roadie on their west coast tour this summer. Jak Uzi are another rippin band that have real in your face punk sound with authentic British vocals. Rumor has it the drummer “Dustin Jak” will be leaving the band… will this be the end of Jak Uzi?? I guess we’ll have to wait and see what will happen to these lads in the future! Now someone sounded an alarm and the next band came in hard and heavy. The Excessives really do have a following in this city of Van. The dance floor filled to the nuts with supporters and rightfully so. A combo of Doug Donut on guitar with the ever incredible legendary drumming of Jono Jak combined with the punchin bag vocals of Limes, who could say NO to this hit of dope! People danced and sang along to the Excessives proving they had what it took to conquer the masses! Punk Gods yes. The evening closed with Dry Fisted who drove their tank all the way from cowtown to play. Dry Fisted have a unique sound that can’t quite be described but can defiantly be labeled as GOOOOOD. At moments of rhythm the transition changes into spaztic hardcore skank. I left forgetting to buy their CD but am going to hunt it down. The show ended and I stood and waited for Fat Chris to do his acoustic set…. The poster for the show gave me the impression this was going to happen, or maybe that was just a fake lure to get us in the door.. I left the show saying my good-byes and was feeling a little sick from too much Coke. This was yet another ABSOLUTE MUSIC evening full of JaKs having a damb fun time! Back in the street the scene was the same as when I entered the Brick Yard. I jumped into a cab and listened to the drivers wicked Hindu music all the way back to East Van. In closing I would like to say I missed the Vans warped tour again this year but at least I had the fortune to be present at this Brickyard Jak show… the bands that played on this night were just like the Coke I was drinking… “The Real Thing!”… Unlike the bands that played the Warped tour this year. -rickylong jak Note: people’s names were changed to protect the innocent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home